Faial is the island that seems to contain the whole world, with what is called “the smallest cosmopolitan city in the world” and so much more. The blue hydrangeas, the volcanic traces, the sea and the majestic mountain of Pico make this island a place not be missed on your family vacation.
1. Explore Marina da Horta – As a result of its geographical position, Marina da Horta is the fourth most visited marina in the world and has become a mythical place for sailors who cover its walls with the most creative paintings, so that luck can smile on your sea voyage. This tradition has made Marina da Horta an authentic open-air gallery that is worth admiring in person.
2. Go whale watching – The island of Faial, and the Central Group of the Azores Archipelago, have the ideal conditions for watching whales and dolphins. The most commonly sighted species are the sperm whale, common dolphins and bottlenose dolphins, which live in the archipelago and can therefore be seen throughout the year. However, at specific times, it is possible to stop blue whales, fin whales, sei whales, spotted dolphins and even humpback whales, among other species.
3. Enjoy the unique beaches and natural pools of Porto Pim – Porto Pim beach is one of the most popular beaches on the island. Its sand, crystal-clear water, and the frame made by Monte da Guia and the bay of Porto Pim make it the most popular. There are other pleasant beaches and bathing areas that you can enjoy, such as Praia do Almoxarife, which has a unique view of the mountain of the island of Pico, and countless natural pools and harbors throughout the island, of which we highlight those in Varadouro. There are so many of them that you can take a short dip and then go to the next bathing area. Let the smallest members of the family vote on which one is the best! The excitement will be contagious.
4. Visit the Capelinhos Volcano Interpretation Center – Built underground next to the lighthouse that was almost submerged by lava to preserve the landscape, it is the privileged place to understand the phenomenon of the Capelinhos Volcano and the volcanic activity in the Azores. For a higher perspective, you should take the walk along the top of the cliff to appreciate the accumulated material that was expelled by the volcano, such as the so-called volcanic bombs. These lava fragments that solidified during “the flight” and took on an ovoid shape are sure to impress the youngest members of the family!
5. Take one of the trails of the island – If you like walking in nature and exploring it safely, take one of the mapped trails of the island, such as the the Serreta – Lagoinha trail, the Dez Vulcões trail, the Cabeço do Canto trail or the Caldeirão.
6. Visit the other islands of the triangle – Faial is one of the vertices of the Central Group triangle, being only 8 km away from Pico Island and about 89 km from the island of São Jorge, so you will have the opportunity to enjoy the several daily connections and get to know two more islands of this fantastic archipelago which is the Azores!
Also read “6 activities for families with children not to be missed on Pico Island“, “5 activities for families with children not to be missed on Terceira island“, “5 activities for families with children not to be missed in São Miguel” and “5 activities for families with children that you must do in Santa Maria“.